Do I have a treat in store for all of you today? I sure do! It will leave your mouth watering and have you running to the store for all these delicious ingredients. Your home will smell like a Christmas bakery and you will have to stop yourself from taking a bit out of the Gingerbread wall before it is built. A gingerbread house is the perfect, fun and yummy craft to do with a loved one, the children, friends, and the whole family.
So what are you waiting for? Head over to the store and load up on sticky gumdrops, sweet peppermint candies, creamy chocolate drops and every other candy you need to have your gingerbread house looking as good as the one in Hansel and Gretal. Then start your baking! I have included everything you need below: recipe, instructions, and template. Print off the template, cut it out and use it to construct your new home. Feel free to print off the recipe too and share it with your family and friends so they can enjoy the fun too.
- ½ cup room temperature butter
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup light molasses or dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer or mixing bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and baking soda together until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the flour and water to make a stiff dough.
- Chill at least 30 minutes or until firm. This will make it much easier to roll out and it will not stick to the rolling pin.
- Roll out and cut into gingerbread house using the template provided
- Bake for 15 minutes until the dough feels firm.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before assembling and decorating.
Print Them Out